As a social media enthusiast, I can attest to the power of Instagram Live. It’s an interactive way to engage with your audience in real-time, and it’s becoming increasingly popular among businesses. In this article, we’ll explore why Instagram Live is essential for your business, how it differs from Instagram Stories, and how to go live on Instagram. We’ll also provide tips for a successful Instagram Live session, best practices for promoting your live, creative ideas for Instagram Live content, tools to enhance your Instagram Live experience, and how to measure the success of your Instagram Live.
Introduction to Instagram Live
Instagram Live is a feature that allows users to broadcast live video to their followers. It’s a great way to connect with your audience in real-time and build a community. With Instagram Live, you can answer questions, share behind-the-scenes content, host Q&A sessions, and so much more. It’s an interactive way to engage with your audience and build a personal connection.
Here are some of the changes made to Instagram Live in 2023:
- No longer able to tag products during live broadcasts. Starting March 16, 2023, Instagram users will no longer be able to tag products during live broadcasts. Meta says this change will allow the platform to “focus on products and features that provide the most value to our users.”
- New features for creators. Instagram is rolling out new features for creators, including the ability to add music to live broadcasts, create polls and quizzes, and invite guests to join their live streams.
- Improved moderation tools. Instagram is also improving its moderation tools to help users report harmful or inappropriate content. This includes the ability to report live broadcasts that are violent, hateful, or sexually suggestive.
These changes are designed to make Instagram Live a more engaging and informative experience for users. They also help to make the platform a safer place for everyone.
Why Instagram Live is Essential for your business
Think of Instagram Live as your brand’s private TV channel, where you get to connect with your audience on a profoundly personal level. It’s the perfect stage to let your brand’s true colors shine and cultivate a vibrant community. The live feature is your golden ticket to answer burning questions, pull back the curtain to behind-the-scenes content, and serve up a hearty helping of value to your audience.
Instagram Live does a few extra tricks traditional posts can’t – like sending out bat signals (notifications, really) to your followers when you hit the ‘live’ button, casting your reach even wider.
Venturing into the Live zone offers you the magic wand to whip up content so engaging that it pulls followers in like bees to honey. The live feature doesn’t just let you interact with your audience in real-time, it opens the door to an interactive forum where you can answer queries, share golden nuggets of wisdom, and even host lively Q&A sessions.
All these serve as kindling to spark connections with your audience and nurture your digital tribe. What’s more, each time you’re live, Instagram does you a solid by featuring your post on the Explore page’s prime real estate, leading more eyes to your content. It’s a fantastic way to give your brand exposure a boost and catch the attention of a broader audience.
Last but not least, Instagram Live hands you the analytics baton – views, comments, shares, and the works – so you can gauge the success of your session, understand your audience’s tastes, and fine-tune your content strategy on the fly.
Key Instagram Live Stats 2023
Roll out the red carpet for Instagram Live’s jaw-dropping statistics from 2023:
- Every day, over 100 million people set their sights on Instagram Live – that’s more than the population of Germany!
- Here’s an interesting plot twist: 80% of audiences would happily ditch reading a blog post for the thrill of a live stream.
- Among the live stream spectators, 13% are tuning into Instagram Live, making up a slice of the 28% of social media users who are avid live stream viewers.
- The youngsters are in on it too, with 26% of Gen Z and Millennial folks glued to live streaming on Instagram.
- Remember March 2020? Instagram sure does. It marked a whopping 70% surge in Live video streaming.
- 14% of marketers unleashed their creativity on Instagram Live, making it their live video platform of choice in 2021.
- Instagram is no slouch when it comes to daily users, clocking in more than 500 million (that’s half a billion!) individuals each day.
- The investment in Instagram Live video by digital creators accounted for a hefty 28% in their 2020 marketing strategy.
- Instagram Live enjoys a special place in the hearts of about 13% of viewers who prefer streaming its live video sessions over other social media platforms.
- Rounding off our list, the IGTV app is basking in global acclaim, having achieved 7 million installs worldwide. Talk about global domination!
Instagram Live vs. Instagram Stories
Instagram Live and Instagram Stories, the dynamic duo of Instagram features, each flaunt their own unique superpowers and Achilles heels. Instagram Live is your go-to for heartbeats-quickening, in-the-moment engagement, while Instagram Stories, with their all-encompassing reach, are the champions of crowd-pulling.
When it comes to the game of reach, Instagram Stories is the star quarterback. Fast forward to 2023, and the typical Instagram user is feasting their eyes on a whopping 50 Stories a day, leaving a meager 15 Instagram posts in their wake. The secret to their success? Their prime placement at the top of user feeds and their vanishing act after 24 hours, making them irresistible must-sees for users.
But step into the arena of engagement, and Instagram Live takes home the trophy. The allure of Live videos is irresistible to users, with the siren call of real-time interaction drawing them in. The raw, unfiltered, and live essence of Instagram Live lets users fire off questions and engage with the broadcaster as the action unfolds, making it a truly interactive spectacle.
Let’s get up close and personal with some jaw-dropping stats for Instagram Live and Instagram Stories:
- The year 2023 saw an average of 100 million Instagram Live broadcasts taking place daily.
- Instagram Live fans are clocking in an average of 60 minutes of live video consumption every day.
- Instagram Stories have reached the milestone of being viewed a staggering 500 million times a day.
- Instagram Stories can boast a robust 10% engagement rate.
In the final tally, both Instagram Live and Instagram Stories are potent weapons in the arsenal of businesses and influencers. Instagram Live shines when it comes to real-time engagement, while Instagram Stories steal the limelight with their far-reaching audience net.
How to go Live on Instagram
Going live on Instagram is simple. Here’s how to get started:
- Open the Instagram app and make sure you’re logged in.
- Swipe right anywhere in the feed or tap the plus sign to start a new post.
- Scroll to Live at the bottom.
- Tap the Title icon on the left to add a title to your live stream. Then tap Add title.
- You can also set your Audience to public or private.
- If you want to schedule the stream in advance, you can tap the Calendar icon and set a date and title for the scheduled stream.
- Tap the Live button at the bottom of the screen when you’re ready to go live.
- Once you’re live, you can see the number of viewers at the top of the screen and comments at the bottom of the screen.
- You can use the filters and effects at the top of the screen to change the look of your live stream.
- You can also invite other people to join your live stream by tapping the Person icon.
- To end your live stream, tap the End Live button at the bottom of the screen.
Once you’re live, your followers will receive a notification that you’re broadcasting. You can see who’s watching and interact with your audience by responding to comments and questions.
Tips for a successful Instagram Live session
Ready to become the maestro of Instagram Live sessions? Here’s your dazzling checklist:
- Sketch out your show: What’s your talk going to be about? What are your live-stream dreams and ambitions? Having a game plan gives you direction and ensures your live sessions are a time well spent.
- Roll out the red carpet for your live stream: Give your followers the inside scoop on your upcoming live extravaganza, and what they can expect. Pop the news on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and any other social media stage where you’re the star.
- Timing is everything: When are your followers buzzing about online? Attempt to align your live show with their virtual presence for maximum attendance.
- Power up your internet: Your live stream needs a steady, robust internet connection to be a smooth sailing affair. Remember, buffering is a buzzkill.
- Location, location, location: Opt for a setting that’s well-lit and free from distractions – your viewers will thank you.
- Embrace your awesomeness: Authenticity is key – put on a genuine show, have a blast, and your audience will love you for it!
- Get chatty with your audience: Keep the comment section lively by responding to your viewers’ comments and questions, and throw a few intriguing questions their way too.
- Harness the power of hashtags: Hashtags are like breadcrumbs leading viewers to your live stream – use them wisely!
- Preserve your performance: Save your live stream to your IGTV channel so that it can enjoy the limelight even after it’s live no more.
By sticking to these tips, you’ll be crafting Instagram Live sessions that not only captivate your audience but also steer you closer to your objectives. Now, go out there and dazzle the Instagram world!
Best time to go live on Instagram in 2023
The best time to go live on Instagram in 2023 varies depending on your audience. However, some general times that tend to work well include:
- Monday to Friday around noon: This is a good time to reach people who are at work or school and have some downtime.
- After work hours, around 7 PM to 9 PM: This is a good time to reach people who are winding down for the day and looking for something to do.
- Weekends: People are often more relaxed on the weekends and have more time to watch live streams.
- You can also experiment with different times to see when your audience is most likely to be online. You can use Instagram Insights to see when your followers are most active.
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing a time to go live:
- Your audience: When are your followers most likely to be online?
- Your content: What kind of content are you going to be sharing? Some types of content, such as Q&As, are better suited for certain times of day.
- Your goals: What do you want to achieve with your live stream? If you’re trying to reach a specific audience, you’ll need to choose a time when they’re most likely to be online.
By considering all of these factors, you can choose the best time to go live on Instagram and reach your audience with your content.
Best practices for promoting your Instagram Live
To promote your Instagram Live, here are some best practices to keep in mind:
- Use Instagram’s countdown sticker to promote your live. This sticker allows your followers to set a reminder for when you go live.
- Post about your live on your Instagram feed and stories. This will help spread the word to your followers.
- Collaborate with other accounts to promote your live. This can help you reach a wider audience.
- Use relevant hashtags to increase visibility. This will help people who aren’t following you discover your live.
Creative ideas for Instagram Live content
There are endless possibilities when it comes to Instagram Live content. Here are some creative ideas to get you started:
- Host a Q&A session. This is a great way to engage with your audience and answer any questions they may have.
- Share behind-the-scenes content. Take your audience behind the scenes of your business to give them a glimpse of what goes on behind closed doors.
- Host a tutorial or how-to session. Share your expertise with your audience by teaching them something new.
- Conduct interviews with industry experts. This is a great way to provide value to your audience and network with other professionals.
- Host a live event. If you’re hosting an event, consider going live to give your followers a taste of what’s happening.
Tools to enhance your Instagram Live experience
There are several tools you can use to enhance your Instagram Live experience. Here are some of our favorites:
- Add filters and effects. Instagram provides a variety of filters and effects to make your live video more engaging.
- Use a tripod or stabilizer. This will help stabilize your video and make it look more professional.
- Use an external microphone. This will improve the audio quality of your live video.
- Invite a guest to join your live. This is a great way to collaborate with other accounts and provide value to your audience.
Measuring the success of your Instagram Live
To measure the success of your Instagram Live, here are some metrics to track:
- Number of viewers. This will give you an idea of how many people tuned in to your live video.
- Engagement. Keep track of the number of comments and questions you received during your live session.
- Follower growth. Monitor your follower growth before and after your live session to see if it had an impact.
Instagram Live is a powerful tool for businesses looking to engage with their audience in real-time. By going live, you can build a personal connection with your audience and showcase your brand’s personality. Use the tips and best practices outlined in this article to have a successful Instagram Live session and measure its success. Happy broadcasting!