Updated: January 2020
Welcome to the biggest, best, and easiest-guide-ever to social media image sizes!
Get straight to all the sizes, lengths, and specs you need to create winning posts, videos, ads, and Stories on almost any social media platform.
Share this guide with your team and save everyone loads of time!
If your brand posts photos and videos on social media, you can access all the sizes, lengths, and other spec requirements you need for posts, videos, Stories, and ads on any of the following platforms:
We give you ALL the media requirements you need for social media, with easy-to-follow guidelines, in one resource guide.
Plus, we’ve included recommendations for caption length and formatting to help boost your engagement.
Before you go, add this article to the top of your bookmarks list — so you and your team can get busy creating winning campaigns without ever having to dig for the right specs!
Table of Contents
2020 Social Media Image Sizes Per Network
2020 Facebook Image Specs
We’re kicking off our 2020 Guide to Social Media Image Sizes with Facebook, since (according to statistics) most of you will use the platform to promote your brands in 2020.
Nearly all marketers (94%) use Facebook, most of them (72%) use Facebook advertising, and the majority (51%) say Facebook is their #1 social platform.
Below are the images sizes that will help your photos, videos, and ads to look their best on Facebook.
Facebook Image Requirements:
- Facebook profile picture size: 360 x 360
- Facebook cover photo size: 851 x 315
- Video cover size: 820 x 462. Duration: between 20 and 90 seconds
- Page Profile: 360 x 360
- Image Page Cover: 851 x 315
- Video Page Cover: 820 x 462. Duration: between 20 and 90 seconds
- Group cover photo dimensions: 1640 x 856
- Facebook event photo size: 1920 x 1080
- Square image post: 1200 x 1200
- Vertical image post: 1080 x 1350
- Link image post: 1200 x 628
- GIF square post: 1080 x 1080 in MP4 or MOV.
- Highlighted image post: 1200 x 717
- Square video post: 1080 x 1080
- Landscape video post: 1920 x 1080
- 360 image post: 30,000 px in any dimension / <135,000,000 px total size Additional details
- 360 video post: 5120 x 2560 (Monoscopic, left to right) or 5120 x 5120 (stereoscopic, top to bottom)
- Carrousel ad: 1080 x 1080. Format: JPG, PNG, MP4 or MOV.
- Instant article: 1200 x 1200
- Facebook Live video: 720p (1280 x 720). Max bit rate: 4000 Kbps. Length: 240 minutes maximum Additional details
- Touch & hold post: 1080 x 1920. Reveal video: Up to 30 seconds. Reveal image: Up to 30 images.
- Collection: 1200 x 1200
Instagram Image Sizes
Most of Instagram’s 1 billion users (over 80%) have a few things in common: they use the social platform for:
- Following businesses
- Discovering new products
- Deciding what to purchase*
Instagram grows and expands every year, and with its new shopping features plus its popular Stories format, the platform is 🔥 hot-hot-hot 🔥 and more relevant than ever in 2020!
*Source: Instagram Stats Every Marketer Should Know by Oberlo
Instagram Image Requirements
- Instagram profile image: 180 x 180
- Instagram photo size: 1080 x 1080
- Vertical photo size: 1080 x 1350
- Landscape image post: 1200 x 628
- Square video post: 1080 x 1080. Video length: 1 min
- Vertical video post: 1080 x 1350. Video length: 1 min
- Landscape video post: 1200 x 673. Video length: 1 min
- Instagram image story: 1080 x 1920
- Instagram video story: 1080 x 1920. Video length: 15 seconds
- Carousel image ad: 1080 x 1080, 2-10 images/cards per ad
- Carousel video ad: 1080 x 1080, 2-10 images/cards per ad
- Slideshow image ad: 1080 x 1080. Image duration: up to 50ss per image
- Recommended caption length: 125 characters.
- Maximum caption length: 2200 characters.
- Hashtags: Up to 30 hashtags are allowed per post.
2020 Instagram Specs Infographic
TikTok Video Sizes
TikTok’s mission to “inspire creativity and bring joy” delivers what social media users crave.
TikTok’s rapid rise to success provides marketers with a brief opportunity to build a massive following on a channel with lower-than-average competition.
Learn more about growing an audience on TikTok.
TikTok Video Specs
- TikTok Profile Image Size: 200 x 200. JPG, PNG.
- TikTok Video size:1080 x 1920. File size: 287.6 MB (iOS) and 72 MB (Android). MP4, MOV.
- TikTok Video Ads size: 720 x 1280px / 640x640px / 1280 x 720px. File size: 500 MB. MP4, MOV, MPEG, 3GP, AVI.
TikTok Specs Infographic
Twitter Image Sizes
Twitter is an excellent platform for professionals and B2B businesses.
Twitter is also popular with mainstream consumers who enjoy breaking news, politics, celebrities, real-time world event updates, and some of the funniest content on the web.
Twitter Image Specs
- Twitter profile image: 400 x 400. File size: 2 MB
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500. File size: 5 MB
- In-Stream square image: 1200 X 1200. File size: 5 MB
- In-Stream landscape image post: 1200 X 675. File size: 5 MB
- Link image post (Card): 1200 x 628.
- Multi-image tweet: 1200 x 675. File size: 3 MB
- Landscape video post: 1280 x 720 (2048K bitrate). 512 MB. Max time: 140ss
- Video post portrait: 720 X 1280 (1024K bitrate) , 1 GB. Max time: 140ss
- Promoted video: 720×1280 (portrait), 1280×720 (landscape), 720×720 (square). Max time: 140ss
- Image Website Card: 800 x 800, 800 x 418. File size: 3 MB.
Twitter Copy Guidelines
Character limit for Tweets: 280 characters, but most tweets (88%) are less than 140 characters long.
Links: Links are counted as 23 characters, even if they’re shorter or longer than 23 characters. This is because all links get converted to Twitter’s t.co format.
Twitter polls: You can use up to 280 characters in your poll question.
Twitter Specs Infographic
LinkedIn Image Sizes
With over 610 million members across 200 countries, LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional community and the most-trusted social media platform in the world.
LinkedIn is a community of professionals who share status updates, thought leadership content, and insightful articles and data that help them do better work.
Pinterest Image Sizes
PInterest, with 322-million users, might seem small compared to social media giants like Facebook and Instagram.
Don’t underestimate Pinterest, though — Pinners are passionate shoppers with $$$ to spend, and most of them (89%) are looking for ideas on what to buy next.
People of all ages turn to Pinterest for inspiration on beauty, style, food & drink, travel, home projects, and more.
Pinterest Image Specs
- Account profile: 600 x 600, JPG or PNG
- Vertical image pins: 1000 x 1500 (2:3)
- Square image pins: 1000 x 1000 (1:1)
- Tall image pins: 1000 x 2100 (1:2.1). Will be cropped in the feed.
- Promoted pins: 1000 x 1500 (2:3 to 1:2.5)
- Board display small: 51 x 51 (1:1)
- Board display large thumbnail: 238 x 284
- Videos: 1000 x 1000, 1000 x 1500 or 1080 x 1920. Shorter than 1:2 (width:height), taller than 1.91:1. We recommend making your videos square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) . File Size: 2 GB.
- Board Cover: 600 x 600 (1:1)
- Promoted Videos at max width: 1000 x 1000 or 720 x 1280. 1:1 or 16:9. File Size: 2 GB.
Pinterest Specs Infographic
YouTube Image Sizes
With more than 2 billion monthly active monthly users, YouTube is the biggest video sharing platform in the world.
Publishing the correct size and resolution is essential to creating quality YouTube videos. Follow the recommendations below to ensure that your content is viewable on all types of devices.
YouTube Image Specs
- YouTube profile: 800 x 800
- YouTube banner size: 2560 x 1440
- YouTube thumbnail size: 1280 x 720. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF
- Video: 2160p: 3840 x 2160, 1440p: 2560 x 1440, 1080p: 1920 x 1080 (16:9). Format: MP4. Video codec: H.264. Audio codec: AAC-LC
- 360 Video: 7168 x 3584 or higher, up to 819 2x 4096 (Equirectangular format with a 2:1 aspect ratio)
- Virtual Reality Video: 5120 x 5120 and up to 8192 x 8192. Format: MP4, MOV. Video codec: H.264, ProRes, DNxHR. Audio codec: AAC. H.264 Bitrate: 150 – 360Mbps.
- YouTube Stories: 1080 x 1920 (9:16). Format: MP4, MOV. Max video duration: 15 seconds
- Video ads: 720p or below is required, 1080p recommended (16:9 or 4:3). Format: MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP, WebM, DNxHR, ProRes, CineForm, HEVC (h265). Frame rate: Up to 30fps. File size: 10MB. Maximum Video Length: Up to 6 minutes (skippable ads) 15 seconds (non-skippable ads) 6 seconds (bumper ads) 20 seconds (non-skippable ads, EMEA, India, Malaysia, and Singapore only)
- TrueView in-stream ads: 640 x 360 (16:9) or 480 x3 60 (4:3). Format: AVI, ASF, Quicktime, Windows Media, MP4, or MPEG. File size: 1GB. Lenght: 12 minimum, 3 minutes maximum.
- TrueView in-stream ads (Call-to-action overlays): 74 x 74. Format: JPG or GIF only.
- TrueView discovery ads: 640 x 360 or 489 x 360. Format: AVI, ASF, Quicktime, Windows Media, MP4 or MPEG. Frame rate: 30FPS(4:3, 16:9). Preferred video codec: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. Preferred audio codec: MP3 or AAC
- In-video overlay ads: 480 x 70 required, 300 x 250 optional. Format: GIF, PNG, JPG. File size: 150KB
- Live streaming in ads: 1280 x 720p, 1080p recommended (Square 16:9 ratio, 1920 x 1080 recommended). Format: RTMP Streaming H.264, 4.1 for up to 1080p 30 FPS H.264, 4.2 for 1080p 60 FPS H.264, 5.0 for 1440p 30 FPS H.264, 5.1 for 1440p 60 FPS H.264, 5.1 for 2160p 30 FPS H.264, 5.2 for 2160p 60 FPS. File size: 2MB.
- Sponsored cards: Format: JPG, PNG, GIF. Lenght: 15 or 20 seconds. File size: 2MB max
- Standard display ads: 300 x 250, 300 x 60 (YouTube Reserve companions), 300 x 600 (Zagat only). Format: GIF, JPG, PNG. Maximum animation time: 30 seconds. File size: 150KB
- Bumper Ads: 300 x 60. Format: GIF, JPG, PNG.
YouTube Specs Infographic
Tumblr Image Size
Tumblr makes blogging easy because it places no maximum character limit restrictions on updates.
Even though Tumblr is best for short posts, you can publish long posts and multimedia posts, or a micro-blog, with an interaction between “Tumbleloggers” (Bloggers who use Tumblr).
Tumblr Image Specs
- Avatar: 128 x 128. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Avatar on Posts: 64 x 64 pixels (recommended-required). Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Image posts (In Dashboard): 540 x 750. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Regular Image Posts (In Feed): 1280 x 1920 pixels, 540 x 810 (minimum). Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Large Photo Set Posts (In Feed): 245 x 245. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Small Photo Set Posts (In Feed):177 x 177 pixels. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Link Post or text post:130 x 130 pixels. Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
- Video: 500 x 700. 5 min per day, 100 MB per file. Format: MOV, MP4, or embed code from: YouTube, Vimeo.
- Tumblr Sponsored Day: Dashboard Banner – Photo: 1080×432. Dashboard Banner – GIF: 540×216. Explore Banner – GIF: 2600×1463 (16:9). Explore Banner – JPG or PNG: 2600×1463 (16:9). Explore Banner – Video (Desktop Only) 16:9 Aspect Ratio, 720p.
- Tumblr Sponsored Post: Static Image: 500×750, 1280×1920. Animated GIF: 540×750. VideoEmbed code from: YouTube, Vimeo.
- Tumblr Sponsored Post Carousel: Cards (3-5): 540×540. Static Image: 540×540 . Animated GIF: 540×540.
- Tumblr Sponsored Post Video: 640×480 Height cannot exceed 1920. Format: MP4.
2019 Tumblr - Profile and Posts
Your Best Resource for Social Media Content
Did you know that Sharelov is your best resource for producing world-class marketing content?
You’ll find massive resources on our blog, including statistics, tips, infographics, and step-by-step tutorials. We show you exactly how to achieve all your marketing goals, one step at a time.
Are you working with a marketing team or clients?
Sharelov software makes team and client collaboration simple. Our intuitive, user-friendly platform helps you create, organize, collaborate, and schedule all your marketing tasks and content.